Monday, April 13, 2009

Springing Forward Felt

It's been about a week since I last posted, but it seems even longer!
Monday I left for Ohio to spend a few days felting with my dear friend Jan. We made a stunning bag with both inside and outside pockets, using a flat resist. Jan has much to be proud of. She did an excellent job and the bag is so beautiful.
I made a small vessel for her to keep as a token of our time together. I should have made it another layer thicker, but it turned out pretty and looks lovely in her living room.
On my return home Wednesday, my cell phone rang and it was Susan McFarland. She invited me to go to The Fiber Event with her in Indiana near Indy. I left early Friday morning and arrived back home about 3:30 AM Sunday morning. We worked really hard, made some money and got to spend some time together. While I was demonstrating the needle to wet hat forms in her booth, I made this hat. I wet felted it this morning. It is hand-dyed merino and what fun it was to work with it. Just melted in my hands.
I forgot to mention that while I was with Jan, we watched the scarf video by Sharon Costello. It is very well done, and I'm fairly convinced that after you watch the video, you should be able to make any kind of scarf you wanted to. It is very instructional, simply done with nice details on how felt happens. You can find it at Black Sheep Designs and Susan's Fiber Shop. Really a very nice video to have in ones collection. I highly recommend it.
I also had the chance to meet another felter at THE FIBER EVENT in Greencastle. Her name is Paula Scott-Frantz. What a neat gal and we immediately talked 'felt". How cool is that! Anyway, here is her site which is still under construction, but some nice stuff is sure to come from it. http://paulascottfrantz.com
Have a great week and make great felt!
Shalom,
Suzanne

No comments: