Saturday, September 17, 2011

Class Announcments, and then some...

While taking a breather from feltmaking, I decided to get more of my house in order and take care of some organizational things. Since my home is my studio and my studio my home, those spacial areas often over-cross each other, creating it's own unique chaos. I can live with a certain amount of disorder, but then...it's just got to be dealt with. Feeling pretty good about the progress, but still have miles to go before I can ease up a bit. Each day a bit more gets accomplished, but focusing on the "clear out" has left me with little time to felt....but I think of it constantly!

Last weekend was the Wisc. Sheep and Wool Festival, where my friend Brigitte DeMaster and I share a booth. The weather was PERFECT, and we got to see many familiar faces and friends. Dear Martha Steines repeatedly stressed to me that I had to enter the dress and cape in the design competition. I've never entered any such thing before so was very reluctant to do so. Finally I relented and entered. Martha was such an encouragement and I got "Best in Show". Shocked and humbled, I was. There were gorgeous items in the design category. I was really honored to win and happy that I have friends who push me out of my comfort zone. God bless you Martha and Brigitte. You bless me always! (My friend Zelda is wearing the nuno dress and cape in the photo, I am wearing one of my nuno scarves.)


While at both the Michigan Fiber Festival and Wisconsin Sheep and Wool, I got to see Chris from Briar Rose Fibers:
www.briarrosefibers.net
Chris usually dyes beautiful yarns, but has started dyeing silk bricks that are so spectacular! I've posted the link and let her know that I was going to share the information with you all. I do a lot of dyeing of silk fibers...this stuff blows my socks off! Great colorways, very good prices. Let Chris know you found the information here, please. Are these silks YUMMY or what?

Often I am asked to teach and have decided that with the upcoming show schedule, I have only one more option for teaching this year, unless there is a miracle. So, I've set up a nuno felting class for Saturday, October 29th, at the Otsego Historic Society building from 9AM-5PM in Otsego Michigan. We will dye the silk and then nuno the silk, like what I've shown in the photos above. Space is limited, it will be first come first serve so do let me know as soon as possible. You can let me know on Face Book or via my website email which is: info@hookedonfelt.com Cost is 125.00 for the day. I will supply silks, dyes, mordant, and wools. Will have a complete list of supplies later. Remember, space is limited, first come first served.

The days are becoming tipped in autumn, a fresh coolness in the air, birds flocking together, spiders laying eggs for next years' crop of spinners. The sky looks bluer, the clouds whiter, a fullness of time fills the abundance of this good earth and the goodness of God seems exceptionally clear during these shortening days of daylight, even the moon seems brighter somehow. These are days of early morning walks with sweater snugly wrapping my shoulders, a felt hat on my head, an awareness that these days too are limited before the winter white envelopes us. I love these days of color tipped trees and cooler weather. They are my favorites always. I remember more easily now the days of harvest on the farm, the canning of tomatoes, pickles, beets, corn, peaches, pears...the days of final hay cutting and baling, all things harvested, fields cleared, the rush to get it all done before the snow. Just writing this has brought back a vivid memory of warm apple cider on a field trip I took with my daughter... hay rides, root vegetables, cool air, and cold nose kisses. I love this time of year.

Okay, I'd better stop before I get lost down memory lane and can't make it back.
God bless and Shalom,
Suzanne

3 comments:

WonderWhyGal said...

oooh, I love your memory of autumn. It is truly my favorite time of the year. Congrats on the Wisconsin Wool Best in Show. I didn't see the competition but I've seen that ensemble and it totally deserves it.

BTW, I sent sent a FB message to you for the class.

Barbara Marr said...

Only 2 weeks before you will be at Marr Haven, helping the public appreciate felt more fully. We will have fun!

Hooked On Felt said...

Wow, we've got 4 folks for the class and it's not even been up for 24 hours. This one is filling FAST!
Thanks, you're the best!
Suzanne