Monday, July 12, 2010

Be a Mikey, ..."Try it, you'll like it!"

My dear friend Martha ( of: http://www.rachelsmoms.com ) giggles with such glee every time I tell her that I've used cheese cloth in one of my felts. I don't know what it is that makes her laugh so, but it gives me joy too. Anyway, I've challenged her to "try it, you'll like it!"

Ok, I'll grant you that cheese cloth doesn't sound real glamorous or sophisticated, but the effect of it is so lovely, who wouldn't want to use it from time to time in their felt making projects. It creates a lovely effect, nearly lacy, meshes easily with the wool and adds a lovely dimension to the final product.

So if you too think that cheese cloth sounds a little too folksy and you want to spiff it up a bit, here are some other names it goes by: cotton scrim, which BTW, does come in different weights and in Britain it's sometimes called butter muslin. Cotton scrim does sound nice, don't you think? I think it all has to do with how ones views something. Personally, I love cheese cloth.

I made this small flower to show you all what effect it has when felted. I've used it in my hats and bags and wraps and each time, I've loved it. So I am challenging you and Martha, if you haven't tried it, "Try it, you'll like it!"

Shalom and laughter,
Suzanne
If you get a chance to check out Martha's hats, please do. She uses my large hat forms to make them. Love the white and pink one. It remains my favorite!

2 comments:

Ms. Allison said...

That flower is so cute! I love the effect the cheese cloth created, it looks awesome :)

Hooked On Felt said...

Martha sends this email:
hi suzanne,
you are way too funny!!! okay, okay, i purchased some cotton scrim. i can't wait to try it. you are absolutely right, it does create a wonderful, lacy (like swiss chess) effect.
for some reason "cheese cloth" just cracks me up. your hats are so beautiful and elegant and then you say "well, i used cheesecloth in this". it just doesn't seem right.
lots of love and laughter.
happy felting.
martha (a cheese cloth wannabe)