Friday, December 26, 2008

Joy of Feltmaking, playing with turquoise

This is one of my felt samples . It is made just for the pure pleasure of feltmaking and sometimes to see how things and colors will come together. The color I was playing around with is turquoise. While I like how it blends with many colors, my eyes especially enjoy the blending of turquoise and purple. This wonderful color happens when the two of them are blended together on a felt that I find both stimulating and very peaceful.

I know not one thing about color theory and am ashamed of that when I am talking with other fiber artist and they begin talking color theory. They'll ask "Where did you study color theory" and with usual deer in the headlights response, I just shrug and say "I didn't,... yet". So much for calm and peaceful, the "anxiety-ometer " reaches new heights and I feel like a glowing idiot. Recently though, I've come to realize that the term "earth tones" is very different to each person. Each time, I am secretly amazed and amused at the term all together. What color is it exactly that we don't have on earth? Are not all of the colors that we see EARTH COLORS and TONES? Because I've practiced asking people what they mean by earth tones, I am getting a better sense of it , but the term does make me a little jittery. (OK, the secret is out) And as I look out over this vast and spectacular creation, I am amazed at the colors and shapes that God took the time to make for us. I love that kind of generosity

It's a small piece. It may becomes something some day but for now, it is just a piece of felt with many colors.

Update on this entry: This piece did find it's rightful home. It went to my friend Irene, who has a lovely wine decanter sitting atop of it and lovely bottles of wonderful wine all around it. Cool huh?

3 comments:

Barbara Marr said...

You so DON"T need to study color theory, your natural instincts for color are GRAND.

margo duke said...

You are a natural and those that have studied color theory couldn't do any better. Your felt reminds me of a storm over the ocean - it really is quite facinating.

goooooood girl said...

your blog is very good......