Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Susan's Fiber Shop Spinning Retreat with Judith MacKenzie and Unexpected Lambing

Thursday I left for Columbus Wisconsin to help Susan McFarland with the Spinning Retreat with Judith Mackenzie. Oh, what a grand time we had. There were approximately 40 spinners who showed up for this event and I believe that none were less than pleased with the entire event. Judith is a incredible teacher with wonderful stories, techniques and the proverbial patience of Job with her students. Wonderful teacher, wonderful woman. I am so glad that I got to meet her. I did not take the spinning classes as one of my goals is to maintain my status as a mediocre spinner. (wink) I helped Susan with the shopping stuff, and presented my merino batts and flower kits. I was a wonderful weekend, but in the midst of the retreat, Susan had lambs being born, inthe rain, flooding, fog, and snow. Well, not that the lambs were born there, they were safe in the warmth of the barn but Susan was out in it. Sunday was simply awful weather and the retreat ended with trying to get everyone home during a rain-sleet-ice-snow storm with veracious winds. What an exceiting weekend! BTW, these Teeswater lambs are beyond stunning . I'll try to post some photos later this week. What beautiful animals they are!

While there, I made a very large tote with a very nice pocket in it. It turned out very nice, but a bit too long for my taste. I ended up cutting it in half and the top part sold by the next morning, much to my surprise. The colors were great together, merino in gold, turquoise and blue, olive green, hot pink, and lime. Really very lovely and I hope to save the bottom. It is not what I'd call a failure, just not what I had inteded. It did not skrink as much as I wanted inteh direction that I wanted. Got to work on that a bit more I think.
Anyway, Iam home finally after a very extrended weekend and happy to be in my husbands arms once again. I did have a wonderful time. I love Wisconsin, though the weather this time,left a good bit to be desired!
Felt well!
Suzanne

2 comments:

Helen + ilana = Hi said...

I have an idea for the bottom! Just guessing that you are left with bag that has no flap or handles. Cut out two rectangular holes horizontally about 2 inches down from the top. Get 2 pieces of leather about 1.5 inches larger than the holes. Centre them to the holes and sew on the outside of the bag. Do one line of stitching near the outside edge of the leather. Do a second line really close to the edge of the hole. Cut out the leather from inside the hole. Viola reinforced, sturdy and attractive handles that look like they were planned that way!

Hooked On Felt said...

Fantastic idea! You're so thoughtful!